Creating and Managing Model Versions
Learn about creating and managing model versions
Developing performant machine learning models includes a lot of iterative work. To get the best performing model, you may need to change hyperparameters, training data, or other parameters.
Keeping a history of the changes over time can help you achieve the objectives you initially envisioned with your machine learning models.
The Clarifai Portal allows you to track and manage different versions of your model. Using the Portal to practice model version control can help you achieve several things, such as:
- Versioned reproducibility—As you make changes to your model, its behavior also changes. By tracking versions, you can easily reproduce the same behavior at a later time.
- Better collaboration—When you work with a team to develop a machine learning model, version control helps team members to avoid conflicts, track changes, and collaborate effectively.
- Improved troubleshooting—After updating or modifying a model, it can be difficult to trace the changes that affect the performance of the model. Tracking model versions allows you to easily compare different versions and pinpoint the changes that resulted in problems or improvements.
- Regulatory compliance—By tracking model versions, you can demonstrate that a particular model was used for decision making. This transparency can enhance the auditability of your systems and assist in satisfying regulatory requirements.
How to Create and Manage Model Versions
After creating and training a custom model, it will be listed on the Models manager page, where you can see all the models available in your app.
Creating and training a model automatically creates its initial version.
You can get to the page by navigating to the individual page of your app and selecting the Models option on the collapsible left sidebar.
Next, select the model you want to see its details.
You'll be redirected to a page for viewing the selected model.
If you click the Train Model button at the upper-right corner of the page, you'll initiate a new training process, which will generate another model version.
Anytime your model finishes training, you'll get an email message of the training results with links to helpful resources on how to make the most of the model.
You can also click the button that lists the different model versions, and a list of the available model versions will drop down. You can select the version of the model you want to see and copy its ID to the clipboard.
If you click the See versions table link, a table that lists the different versions of your model will appear.
The model versions table allows you to complete various management tasks.
Evaluate a Model Version Performance
To evaluate the performance of a model version, under the ROC column, click the Calculate button, which will start the evaluation process.
The evaluation may take up to 30 minutes. Once it is complete, the Calculate button will become a View Results button, which you can click to see the evaluation results.
You can read here to learn how to interpret the evaluation results.
You can compare model performance metrics across different versions. For example, if you want to make an "apples to apples" comparison, we recommend having a fixed concept list for your model, so that you can pick the best model version after the comparisons.
See Model Version Details
Click the See Model Version Details button to see the details of the model version.
You'll be redirected to the model version viewer page, where you can see different details of your model versions and track their history.
You can select the model you want to see its details on the version selection pane on the left side of the page. Your selected version will be highlighted. By default, the best performing version is highlighted and appears on top.
You can see several details, including the following:
- Dataset details used to train the model version
- Concepts present in the model version
- Training template used to train the model version
- Inference settings, such as batch size, image size, and number of epochs
- Different advanced options
- Different output settings
You can also click the Create a new version button to create a new version of your model.
You can create a new model version either from:
- From Version Config—creates a new version from your own model configuration using the settings of the highlighted selected version
- From Default Config—creates a blank new version from Clarifai's default configuration settings
Delete a Model Version
To delete a model version, click the Delete button on the model versions listing table.